Monday, October 1, 2007

Out of the mouth of...

This morning as I was driving to work, my daughter asked me: "Is it going to be Easter soon?

I thought, what to answer? I didn't want to say something negative, but I didn't want to confuse her after all we had been celebrating Easter two years ago, and hadn't talked about this particular holiday.
"Well, Easter is a holiday that people who go to Christian churches celebrate. Christian people believe that Jesus died and became alive again on Easter. They believe that he was not only a good teacher who taught them about God, but also that he was God. And we are Jewish, we believe that God is everywhere. Jewish people don't believe that a person can be God."
"Of course," she said, "There is one God, and God is everywhere. That would mean if God was a person that there was a split--that there were two parts. God could be two places if God was split, and then God would not be in some place but in two places. God is one, everywhere, so it can't be that way. (sorry if this is not word for word, hers was better!)

I was impressed. She turned 6 only this summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So am I impressed. That's really clear thinking for a six year old!